Tuesday, March 16, 2021

COLOR COMBINATIONS FOR CARDS -STEP TWO!

 Hi Stampers!

Today’s post is a continuation of last week’s Color Combinations for Cards; Where Do I Start? But first I have an exciting announcement to share! 

YES, STAMPIN’ UP!®️ IS OFFERING FREE SHIPPING FOR ONE DAY ONLY!

Stampin’ Up! will offer free shipping on Wednesday, 17 March 2021 for product orders of $50 or more (excluding tax and shipping). Remember this special offer is valid  ONLY Wednesday, 17 March 2021!

Okay, now let’s talk color! Last week I shared one way I find inspiration for card making is focusing on color. Stampin’ Up! offers soooo many different colors! I love every one of them, but selecting color schemes from so many choices can be overwhelming! I mentioned my tendency to veer toward more monochromatic color schemes, and how that can lead to some of my ink pads and cardstock rarely (if ever) being used. So, I have developed several methods I use to come up with color combinations that help me overcome my “overwhelmedness” and break free from my monochromatic default. Over the next few weeks I will share my methods with you.

*Note - I am not an artist, color consultant, or any other type of color expert. I am a card maker with a basic knowledge and understanding of color. I am simply sharing as best I can methods I have found work for me. If I fail to use the proper terms when describing colors, please, just shake your head, and in your very best Southern accent say, “Bless her heart.” 

Last week I discussed starting from the beginning and turning to one of the first lessons many of us learned about color - there are three primary colors - red, yellow, and blue. What a great color combination! I shared 3 cards I made using this color combination, but the red, blue and yellow on each card were, let’s say variations on the theme. (See the 12 March 2021 post). Today I will use the same process as last week to create very different cards all based on variations of one color scheme.

Today’s color scheme will be secondary colors. Secondary colors are the result of blending together two primary colors. The secondary colors are orange, green, and purple! That color combination has become quite popular for Halloween cards, but let’s see if we can take it beyond the ghouls and goblins!


PUMPKIN PIE, GRANNY APPLE GREEN, GORGEOUS GRAPE



If this card looks familiar to you, it is because it is a replica of one I made last week using the red, yellow, blue theme. I used the Lovely You stamp set to create the floral background. 

LOVELY YOU (Annual Catalog)


So, now that I created a card using a color combination as close to crayon box orange, green, and purple as I could get, the next step is to select 3 more colors that we would consider to be orange, green, and purple. The trick is to select colors that are in the same palette, that have a similar color saturation - as in lighter or darker hues. For the next card I decided to use lighter versions of the secondary color theme. Here are my color choices and the card I came up with.

COASTAL CABANA, MINT MACARON, HIGHLAND HEATHER



I used the SEASIDE NOTIONS stamp set for this card. It is bright and cheery, and although not what I would consider traditional “beachy” colors, it still conveys the idea of fun summer days spent on the beach. If I make this card again I would change the Highland Heather greeting mat to Calypso Coral and stamp the greeting in Highland Heather. Other than that, I am very happy with this color combination.

SEASIDE NOTIONS (Annual Catalog)


Now, time to select three more colors that would fit the orange, green, and purple theme. For the next card I selected darker versions of the colors. 

CAJUN CRAZE, MOSSY MEADOW, BLACKBERRY BLISS


To me this color combination screams fall, so it seemed only natural to use leaf images. ROOTED IN NATURE was the perfect stamp set for this card.


The cardstock for the focal panel is Very Vanilla, but after stamping the leaves the Very Vanilla background seemed to contrast too much with the leaves. To remedy the situation I used a blending brush to apply just a bit of Crumb Cake ink over the entire panel. It gave the card a richer, warmer feeling. 
* Note I used the blending brush and Crumb Cake ink on the greeting, as well as on the insert I made for the inside of the card.

ROOTED IN NATURE (Annual Catalog)


Here are my three cards using orange, green, and purple. I was happy with the results. What will you create using these colors?


Thank you for stopping by. Until next time...
Stamp Happy!

Kim

My Stampin’ Up! Website and On line Store
http://greatinkspirations.stampinup.net

Email me at
greatinkspirations@gmail.com

Remember - Free Shipping - Tomorrow Only (17 March 2021) - on orders of $50 or more (US).

All stamps and stamped images ©️1990-2021 Stampin’ Up!®️

No comments:

Post a Comment