Hi Stampers!
You might have heard - I do not like making multiples. It is something I try to avoid like the plague! When I first started card making a way back when, making multiples of cards was defined as making numerous cards that looked exactly the same. I knew card makers who every year would put together 50-60 identical Christmas cards! I tried doing the multiples thing one year for my Christmas cards. I made about 8, and that was it. Multiples just aren’t my thing, but sometimes they are necessary and I admit there are some positives when it comes to multiples. So, today I am going to share my version of multiples. Let’s take a peek at the sample cards:
VIDEO
PROS OF MAKING MULTIPLES
The cards take less time to make because:
* one layout is being used
* they measurements for mats and panels are the same for each card you get into a rhythm while cutting them an that speeds things up.
* it is easy to use the assembly line method for assembling the cards
Sometimes they are practical
* party invites, wedding invites, etc
* when you need cards for card ministries, craft fairs, etc.
CONS OF MAKING MULTIPLES
My biggest complaint is boredom!
* using the assembling line process for cutting card pieces and assembling them begins to feel robotic
* the cards are each a clone of the others, there is no real personality
* for me it is difficult to complete my cards
Whether you follow strict rules for making multiples or mix things up a bit, it is always good to start with a great layout. Here is the one I used for today’s cards.
CARD LAYOUT # 2634
HOW I CHANGE UP THE MULTIPLE PROCESS
TO KEEP ME GOING
* I select a layout that can be used in portrait or landscape orientation without no change to the cutting measurements
* I use different patterned papers for each card or small groups of cards
* I use different colors of card bases
* I used different greetings
These changes add no significant time to creating the cards. The assembly line process can still be used. These changes keep the biggest advantage of creating multiples, but gets rid of the boredom and hohum!
WHAT YOU NEED
For each card you will need the following
* Card Base - 8 1/2” x 5 1/2” scored and folded at 4 1/4”
* Inside Panel - white or light colored cardstock cut at 5 1/4” x 4” (optional for white or light colored cardstock bases)
* Patterned Paper - Two designs - cut one each from each design - 2”x2” square and a 1’ x 2” rectangle
(you will have 2 squares and 2 rectangles).
* Cardstock for mats - Two colors of cardstock. Cut one at 4 1/2” x 3 1/2” and one at 4 1/4” x 3 1/4”
* Greeting, embellishments, adhesives, stamps, inks, dies, etc and other items needed to finish card
WHAT TO DO
* If you are using an inside panel, stamp a sentiment on it and the like, then adhere to the inside of the card.
* Adhere the patterned paper pieces to the 3 1/4” x 4 1/4” mat - the two 2” squares go on the left side. The two 1” x 2” pieces go on the right side. See the card layout above for placement.
* Adhere the 3 1/4” x 4 1/4” mat to the 3 1/2” x 4 1/2” mat. This is the focal panel/
* Adhere the focal panel to the card base, centered left to right and top to bottom.
* Adhere greeting of choice.
* Add embellishments to complete the card.
CHRISTMAS VERSION
The first time I heard about multiples was in the context of Christmas cards. It seemed to me that all card makers selected a layout , color scheme, images, and greeting for a card, then created multiple copies of the card. I remember discussions about ordering 2 -3 packs of a specific patterned paper to have enough of a couple of patterns to complete the number of cards needed. As I mentioned, I tried this approach, and failed. I found I am okay with using the same layout, but I change up the patterned papers, the color scheme, and the greeting! That helps me keep going. The cards will have the same layout and will look similar, but will not be exactly alike.
(Greeting - Waffle Flower; Embellishments - Simple Stories; All other supplies - Stampin’ Up!)
LANDSCAPE VERSIONS
Another way I take the boredom out of making multiples is choosing a layout that can be used in either portrait or landscape orientation without changing any measurements.
(Greeting top card - Scrapbook.com; All other supplies - Stampin’ Up!)
USE DIFFERENT GREETINGS
(Top left card patterned paper and greeting -Scrapbook.com; Die cut greetings - Scrapbook.com; Greeting bottom left - Waffle Flower; All other supplies - Stampin’ Up!)
(Top cards butterfly paper and bottom card patterned papers - Scrapbook.com; Other papers and cardstocks - Stampin’ Up!; Embellishments - Simple Stories; Greetings - top left Stampin’ Up!;top right - Scrapbook.com; bottom - Waffle Flower)
USE DIFFERENT COLORED CARD BASES
I am learning to use white card bases, but they are not my favorite. I prefer colorful card bases. When making multiples using different colors of card bases and different patterned papers ads variety without infringing on the positive aspects of creating multiples!
VIDEO CARD
* The patterned paper was scraps. It is no longer available. The embellishments are also retired.
TODAY’S CARDS
If you enjoy making multiples that are identical, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Card making should be enjoyable. My twist on multiples is just that - my twist, and it makes me happy. Do you have card making processes you tweak a bit to make the experience more enjoyable for you?
Thank you so much for stopping by today. Until next time . . .
Stamp Happy!
Kim









No comments:
Post a Comment