Sunday, February 7, 2021

PAPER BLOOMS CARD IDEAS

 Hi, Stampers!

I was looking through my DSP and realized I had two packages of PAPER BLOOMS! How that happened, I have no clue! Ordinarily this would not be a big issue, but to be honest, I do not care much for this paper. I do like some of the designs, others - not so much. The designs are not horrible. The colors combinations are okay. The paper just isn’t me. I decided to sit myself down and create a few cards. My plan was to keep the designs fairly simple, and just see where my creativity would take me. After a couple of hours I had created 9 cards I actually like! The moral of story..... don’t knock it until you try it? Creativity knows no bounds?  I am not quite sure, but I do challenge you to dig out the package of DSP you don’t really care for, sit down, and create some cards. That DSP that just isn’t you might start to appeal to you just a little bit.

Let's take a look at sample swatches of the PAPER BLOOMS DSP. 

This DSP is featured in the Sale-A-Bration Brochure, and can be selected as a free item with a $50 purchase of Stampin’ Up!®️ products. Sale-A-Bration continues through the end of this month (February 2021).

Here are the 9 cards I created using the PAPER BLOOMS DSP


In my opinion the design on this DSP is horrid, but I discovered it just needed a little love! That love came in the form of a little “dot” stamp from the INSPIRING IRIS stamp set (Annual Catalog) and a bit of Night of Navy ink. The sentiment is from the ENJOY THE MOMENT stamp set (Mini Catalog). This card is super easy to put together. I stamped the dots and sentiment on the DSP, mounted it on a Night of Navy mat, and adhered the piece to a Basic White card base. 


This paper design is okay, but the elements are a bit larger than I care for, and there is a whole lot of white space.  The challenge was to turn those negatives (in my mind) into positives. So I kept things super simple, and let that DSP do the heavy lifting. Once again the DSP is mounted on a piece of Night of Navy cardstock. The focal piece is adhered to a Soft Sea Foam card base. The greeting (HAPPY THOUGHTS stamp set, Mini Catalog) is stamped with Night of Navy ink.

I like the leaf design on this paper. I cut the DSP into strips that measure 3/4” x 5”.  They are adhered to a piece of Soft Sea Foam cardstock two toward the top of the card and three toward the bottom. The die cut leaves were cut using the CHRISTMAS CARDINAL DIES. The greeting (HAPPY THOUGHTS stamp set - Mini Catalog) is stamped right on the cardstock with Old Olive ink. I wrapped linen thread around the piece three times then tied it in a bow. The piece is mounted on an Old Olive card base.


This card was created using strips of DSP as well. I simply cut the strips then lined them up on a piece of Night of Navy cardstock. The greeting is from the HEAL YOUR HEART stamp set (Sale-A-Bration Brochure) is stamped with Night of Navy on a Seaside Spray die cut mounted on a Night of Navy die cut (LAYERING OVAL DIES). The card base is Seaside Spray. The baker’s twine is from the FLOWERS FOR EVERY SEASON RIBBON COMBO PACK. (Annual Catalog) I just untwisted the strands, and removed the silver metallic thread.


While making this card I cut the DSP the wrong size, but that ended up being a happy accident, A greeting placed just so (HAPPY THOUGHTS stamp set) and a bit of Night of Navy Twine (Mini Catalog) on a Night of Navy card base all came together to make a pretty card!


Another really simple card - DSP on a Night of Navy mat all attached to a Rococo Rose card base. The greeting (HAPPY THOUGHTS stamp set) is stamped with Night of Navy ink on a piece of Basic White cardstock that has a touch of Rococo Rose ink applied with a blending brush (Mini Catalog). The greeting was punched out with the TAILORED TAG punch (Annual Catalog). It is outlined with another Tailored Tag punch out in Night of Navy. That punch out was cut in half long ways and adhered to the backside of the greeting. I added three small pearls I colored with a Night of Navy Stampin’ Blends Marker. 


This DSP design is my favorite from the PAPER BLOOMS collection, I just added a Seaside Spray mat to the DSP and adhered that to a Night of Navy card base. I used the STORY LABEL PUNCH and the LAYERING OVAL DIES (Annual Catalog) for the sentiment. I used more of the twine from the FLOWERS FOR EVERY SEASON RIBBON PACK plus some of the Night of Navy Twine and tied it around the card.

The next two cards are very different, but both focal panels were created using paper weaving. I simply cut strips of DSP, wove them together, adhered them to a piece of Basic White cardstock, and embossed the pieces with the SUBTLE and the TASTEFUL TEXTILE EMBOSSING FOLDERS. This adds a bit of texture and also helps hold the DSP in place. 

 For the card below I fussy cut flowers from another piece of the DSP. The leaves were die cut using the CHRISTMAS CARDINAL DIES. The greeting is from HAPPY THOUGHTS, and is mounted on cardstock cut with the STITCHED RECTANGLE DIES (Annual Catalog).


I really liked the way this card turned out. The Old Olive and Soft Sea Foam color combination looks great. The paper design really worked well with the paper weaving technique. The rhinestones are colored with an Old Olive Stampin’ Blends marker. Once again I used the HAPPY THOUGHTS stamp set (I love this stamp set) and the TAILORED TAG PUNCH.

I am happy with these cards, and glad I decide to challenge myself to work with DSP I did not like all that much. Many times using items you are not all all that excited about really helps get those creative juices flowing, Do I love the PAPER BLOOMS DSP? No, but it is growing on me!

That’s all for now. Until next time....

Stamp Happy,

Kim

All stamps and stamped images ©️1990-2021 Stampin’ Up!®️

No comments:

Post a Comment