Tuesday, October 8, 2024

HOLIDAY CARDS &TIPS FOR GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR SUPPLIES - A STAMP HAPPY HOLIDAYS POST

Hi Stampers!

Believe it or not, we are halfway through Stamp Happy Holidays for 2024! How is your card making going? I have a good supply of Christmas cards, but I definitely need several more, plus some tags. I also need to create a few Hanukkah cards and a few New Year’s cards. There is still plenty of time to create lots of wonderful Holiday cards, so keep stamping happy!

I thought today we’d take a look at how we can get get the most from the supplies we already own, and how we can substitute what we have for products we do not own or don’t have on hand. The cards I am sharing today were created with the idea of getting the most from my supplies. Let’s take a look:




VIDEO
HOLIDAY CARDS & GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR SUPPLIES





MUSICAL JAMBOREE FOR CHRISTMAS 


SUPPLIES FOR THIS CARD
* Stamps - Musical Jamboree (Stampin’ Up!®️); Itty Bitty Christmas (Stampin’ Up! - retired)
* Card base - Cardstock Starry Sky (Stampin’ Up! -retired) cut at 8 1/2” x 5 1/2” scored and folded at 4 1/4”
* Inside panel - Basic White cardstock (Stampin’ Up!) cut at 5 1/4”x 4”
* Focal panel - Basic White cardstock cut at 5” x 3 3/4” - die cut after stamping and blending background
* Glimmer paper  - any sparkling paper will work. I used a white iridescent paper I had in my scrap bin.It is cut at 5 1/4” x 4” and the center is cut out with the Deckled Rectangle die.
* Die - Deckled Rectangles (Stampin’ Up) - measures about 4 3/4 ish x 3 5/8”
* Scissors - to fussy cut fire image
* Masking paper or alternative
* Inks - Starry Sky (retired) and Smoky Slate (both from Stampin’ Up!), Memento Tuxedo Black; various colors of  alcohol markers - Stampin’ Blends (Stampin’ Up!)
* Blending Brushes - for background
* Embellishment - White Loose Snowflakes (Stampin’ Up!)
* Adhesive - I used liquid glue; dimensional for fire

TIPS TO GET THE MOST FROM THE SUPPLIES
* Use your stamps in an unexpected way! This stamp set is not a “Christmas” set, but paired with a Christmas sentiment it does double duty.

* When using specialty paper for a mat, cut the center from it, and keep to use on another project. The focal panel will cover up the cut out portion. Another alternative is demonstrated in the card above. I die cut my focal panel. Next I used the same die, centered it on the mat cut from glimmer paper, and ran it through my die cutting machine, creating a frame. I saved the cut out portion to use on another project. I adhered the frame to the card base. Next, I adhered the focal panel to the card base inside the frame for an “inlaid” look.  NOTE: The edges of my die were deckled. Before adhering down the frame and focal panel I made sure both pieces matched up.

* Masking - for this card I masked off the otter allowing me to stamp the wolf “behind it. I used masking paper to create my mask. It works just fine, but once my current supply is gone I will most likely return to my previous masking method, because it uses items I always have on hand - paper and low tack or temporary adhesive. So, masking paper is great, if you have it; if not, no worries! A sticky note works great. You can also use printer paper with a repositionable or temporary adhesive. If you have washi tape, you can hold the mask in place by taping down a part of the mask that will not be stamped over.

SUMMARY
For this card I made the most of my supplies by 
     * Using a non-Christmas stamp and pairing it with a Christmas greeting
     * Cutting a frame from specialty paper, and saving the cut out portion for another project
     * Using masking paper, because I had it, but honestly considering if alternatives work better for me. This helps me make better decisions when it comes to future spending.


COW-A-LING CARD


SUPPLIES I USED
* Stamp set - Christmas Cowolers (Trinity Stamps)
* Card base - Real Red cardstock (Stampin’ Up!) cut at 5 1/2’ x 4 1/4” scored and folded at 4 1/4”
* Mat and Inside panel Basic White cardstock - both cut at 5 1/4” x 4”
* Other cardstock - Basic White cardstock for stamping and for sentiment and scrap of Real Red
* Scrap white cardstock for stacking die cuts - cut 4 of the cow image
* Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black; Wink of Stella (clear); Various alcohol markers (Stampin’ Blends)
* Embossing folder - Snowflake Sky (Stampin’ Up!)
* Banner Die - I have no clue where I got this die

ASSEMBLY
* Color the focal image die cut it and die cut 3 more of the shape from scrap white cardstock and cut one more from the mat centered from left to right about 1/2” from bottom. You will have 4 blank die cuts and one die cut image. Glue these together in a stack..
* Place the mat inside the embossing folder and emboss. Adhere to card base. Place adhesive on back die of stacked die cut image and put in place on mat.
* Die cut mat for sentiment and from scrap of white cardstock cut a piece that is 2 7/8” x 1/4” for sentiment, stamp sentiment. Attach to banner with dimensionals, adhere piece to card front.
* Stamp inside sentiment on inside panel and adhere to inside of card.

TIPS TO GET THE MOST FROM THE SUPPLIES
* Stacking Die Cuts - this cuts down on the amount of dimensionals or foam tape used and it puts to use panel with mistakes or oops marks or mis-cut panels. On this card all the blank die cuts I stacked are white, but black cardstock would work great too. 

* By die cutting one of the stacking images from the mat it creates a space to adhere the die cut image directly to the card base. No worries about getting enough adhesive or dimensionals to hold the image securely to the embossed panel. 

SUMMARY
* Get the most of every piece of cardstock by finding a use for those inky oops panels or mis-cut panels by saving them to die cut or punch when you want to stack your images to add dimension instead of using dimensionals or foam tape. You can also stack multiple punched or die cut shapes, adhere to the back side of images like dimensionals. Any color cardstock can be used.
* Using scraps of cardstock to stack larger die cut images cuts down on the number of dimensionals or foam tape used. 
* Remember - scraps are our friends!

SANTA SKY


SUPPLIES I USED
* Stamp set - Santa and Reindeer (Crafter’s Companion)
* Sentiment - Silly Santas - dies (Simon Hurley)
* Card base - Night of Navy cardstock (Stampin’ Up!) cut at 8 1/2” x 5 1/2” scored and folded at 4 1/4”
* Focal panel and inside panel - Basic White cardstock cut 2 at 5 1/4” x 4”
* Other cardstock white, navy, scrap of silver cardstock for stamping, die cutting, and stacking
* Inks - Night of Navy (Stampin’ Up!); Memento Tuxedo Black; Distress Oxide - Uncharted Mariner, Villainous Potion (Tim Holtz / Ranger)
* Blending brushes or sponges to blend Distress Oxide inks
* Spritz bottle with water
* Shimmer spray of choice (homemade recipe in tips section)
* Adhesive

ASSEMBLY
* Watch the corresponding video to see how I put this card together.
* For the background I blended Uncharted Mariner and Villainous Potion randomly on the white cardstock panel. I spritzed it with water. Once it dried I spritzed it with my homemade shimmer spray.

TIPS TO GET THE MOST FROM THE SUPPLIES
* Again I used scraps to die cut pieces to stack my focal image and give it dimension. I did the same with the sentiment. I die cut the focal I age shape from the background as I did for the previous card. The image is glued directly to the card base , so no worries about adhesive sticking to the shimmer spray.
* Saving smaller scraps of specialty papers (silver cardstock in this case) paid off. I had a piece just big enough to die cut the letters for my sentiment
* I used homemade shimmer spray to add some sparkle. I am not against purchasing ones on the market, but I have supplies to make it, so why not use them first. The recipe is simple - in a Mini Mister (Ranger) or similar bottle, add about 1/8 tsp Perfect Pearls powder any color you like. I used a color called Perfect Pearl. Next fill the bottle with isopropyl alcohol or water. I use alcohol because it dries faster and it does not react with water reactive inks.

SUMMARY
* I stacked my focal image and sentiment which used scrap paper and saved on dimensionals
* Saving a small scrap of specialty paper paid off.
* I used a homemade shimmer spray made from supplies I had on hand as opposed to purchasing a ready made product.

GETTING THE MOST CARDS


I hope these tips help you take a look at your supplies and find different ways to get the most of what you have. What products can you do without, which ones to you have supplies to make, what new uses can you find for scraps? These are the questions I ask myself from time to time to make sure I am making the very best use of what I have. This helps me spend my crafting money more wisely. 

Thanks for stopping by. Until next time . . .
Stamp Happy!

Kim

SUPPLY SOURCES

I use Stampin’ Up! Cardstock. I have listed the colors in supply lists. If a color is retired it is noted. 

In the supply lists I have cited the company that puts out the stamps, dies, inks, etc. Stampin’ Up! Products can be purchased from their websites. Other companies also have individual web sites, and can also be purchased from various other crafting outlets such as Scrapbook.com, Simon Says Stamp, etc.

Perfect Pearls - If you are unfamiliar with this product you can view it HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment