Monday, September 2, 2024

PENCILING IN SANTA FOR CHRISTMAS - A STAMP HAPPY HOLIDAYS POST

Hi Stampers! 

I have been going through my craft room drawers and cabinets, tossing out some things that just need to go; an almost empty bottle of glue that stopped being glue long ago, an empty embossing powder container- I am certain I kept it for a good reason, tiny scraps of cardstock I have no clue why I saved, a stack of notes and sketches I made years ago, etc.  As I continued my purge I came across supplies and tools I have not used in some time. One of the supplies was colored pencils. I have not used them in forever! I decided now is a good as time as any to put those pencils to work. I am by no means an expert on using colored pencils, but I am happy with the results. Let’s take a look at the sample cards:


For the cards I decided to use whimsical images and I felt the 4 1/4” square size was perfect for Santa and the reindeer! I created the background with Distress Oxide Spray (Tumbled Glass) and a spritz of water.


VIDEO
PENCILING IN SANTA FOR CHRISTMAS




USING COLORED PENCILS


So, how does one go about using colored pencils? I just pick them up and start coloring! Sometimes I color in small circular strokes. Other time I use long or short horizontal strokes. Are either of those techniques optimal or even correct? I have no clue! As I stated earlier, I am no expert. I tend to get the color on the page, then I go back and add more color if needed. Lastly I use something to smooth out and blend the color. This seems to work for me. 

SUPPLIES I USED FOR THIS TECHNIQUE

* COLORED PENCILS
As I am a card maker and not a professional artist I use lower end colored pencils - mostly. I am talking Crayola, Rose Art, and some that appear to be a generic no name brand. I think they actually belong to my grandson. Come to think of it most of my colored pencils belong to or were purchased for use by my grandchildren! I do have some Prismacolor pencils. The color goes on easily, and the pencils are reasonably priced. For today’s cards I used  Prismacolor®️, Crayola®️,  Rose Art®️, and the no name pencils. The Prismacolor and Crayola seemed to glide a bit more smoothly over the paper than the other two brands. I was able to get a really good blend with all 4 brands of pencils

There are many other brands and types of colored pencils. Some are oil based, others are water soluble like watercolor pencils. 

* PENCIL SHARPENER 

* BLENDING METHOD
Blending colors together or smoothing out the coloring is easy with colored pencils, and it really adds a nice finish to the image. When it comes to blending you have several choices.

1. Blending Pencil - this is a colored pencil with no color lead, so to speak. If you do not have a blending pencil you can use a white colored pencil or a color a shed lighter than the image to blend.

2. Blending Pen - a marker with a colorless solution usually alcohol based. If you have a Copic®️ colorless marker or a Stampin’ Up!®️ Stampin’Blends Color Lifter those will work. Prismacolor also makes a blender pen. If you do not have a blending pen you can use isopropyl alcohol with a blending stump (sort of a paper pencil) or small paint brush. If the alcohol fumes bother you remember to ventilate your area by opening a window, turning on the ceiling fan or a portable fan.

3. Gamsol - this is an orderless mineral spirit. It has been refined to remove as many of the pollutants as possible to reduce negative effects to the respiratory system. Odorless does not mean it has no smell, and it does not mean fume-less.  Use it with some ventilation -open a window or turn on a ceiling fan or portable fan if you fine the fumes bother you.  I pour a bit in a small jar I labeled and dedicate specifically to odorless mineral spirits. Having just a small amount sitting out while I use it seems to cut down on the fumes. When I finish I put the lid on the jar and put it on the shelf next to the bottle it came from until next time. Gamsol can be a bit on the pricey side, but if you keep the lid on tightly it will last quite a while. An alternative is to use regular odorless mineral spirits you can buy anywhere you purchase house paint. There is usually some around my house for cleaning paint brushes and the like. 

Apply the Gamsol with a blending stump or small paint brush.

INK

The blending method used will determine the type of ink used to stamp the image.  The best choice is Memento Tuxedo Black or any ink you use with alcohol markers. These work just fine with the blender pens, colorless alcohol markers, alcohol, and Gamsol / mineral spirits. 
Avoid solvent inks, archival inks, etc.

The blending pencil works fine with any ink.


HO HO HO SANTA CARD


SUPPLIES I USED
* Stamp Sets - Santa Paws (& dies), Joyful Greetings, Fresh Snow (dies)
* Card base - 8 1/2” x 4 1/4” scored and folded at 4 1/4” (Balmy Blue)
* Mat layer - 4 1/8” x 4 1/8” (Basic Black)
* Focal panel - 4” x 4” (Basic White)
* Inside panel - 4” x 4” (Basic White)
* Other cardstock for stamping and die cutting (Basic White)
* Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black
* Colored pencils - Peach, Green, Poppy, Red, Cherry Red
* Blending method - Odorless mineral spirits and blending stumps
* Background - Distress Oxide Spray (Tumbled Glass) + water
* Adhesive and dimensionals

CHEERY CHRISTMAS REINDEER


SUPPLIES I USED
* Stamp Sets - Warm & Toasty, Fresh Snow (dies)
* Card base - 8 1/2” x 4 1/4” scored and folded at 4 1/4” (Real Red)
* Mat - 4 1/8” square (Basic Black)
* Focal panel  4” square (Basic White)
* Inside panel 4” square (Basic White)
* Other cardstock - white and red for stamping and die cutting
* Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black 
* Pencils - Tan, Black, Red, Cherry Red, Pink, Brown, Light Brown
* Blending method blending pencil
* Background - Distress Oxide Spray (Tumbled Glass) + water
* Circle dies - Stylish Shapes
* Adhesive and dimensionals

NOTE - the images and greetings I used on my cards are retired, but may be available through eBay and other such outlets. I encourage you to use stamps and dies you already have and create your version of these cards.

COLORED PENCIL CARDS


I enjoyed getting to know my colored pencils again. I have a feeling I will pull them out more frequently now. I had forgotten how enjoyable it is to use different media to add color to stamped images. So, what supplies have been sitting on your shelves just waiting to be rediscovered? Why not put them to work for you?

Thank you for stopping by. Until next time . . .
Stamp Happy!

Kim

Supply Sources:

Cardstock - Stampin’ Up! (All colors current)

Stamp set - Warm & Toasty ©️1990-2024 Stampin’ Up! (Retired)

Dies - Stylish Shapes (current)


Stamp sets & Dies - Santa Paws, Joyful Greetings, Fresh Snow ©️2012 Paper Smooches®️ (all retired)



No comments:

Post a Comment