Tuesday, September 10, 2024

THE JOY OF SCRAPS FOR HOLIDAY CARDS - A STAMP HAPPY HOLIDAYS POST

Hi Stampers!

Many of you know, I have a lot of scraps. I have fewer now than I did a few months back, but I still have a lot of scraps! I decided to make a dent in my scrap specialty paper folder and my cardstock scrap folder . Most of my specialty paper scraps were smaller, so I decided to pair these scraps with alphabet dies.I cut multiple letters (J, O, &Y’s) from the specialty paper and the cardstock. The result? I have 6 more Christmas cards for my stash! Let’s take a look at the cards:



VIDEO
THE JOY OF SCRAPS FOR HOLIDAY CARDS





JOY SQUARED


Each of these cards is 4 1/4” square. My letters are just over 2” tall. Each card is similar yet very different.
I am listing supplies and cutting measurements, but your measurements will vary depending on the height of your die cuts, and I encourage you to use supplies you have on hand.

If you do not have alphabet dies you could substitute die cut or punched images such as bells, ornaments, reindeer (silhouettes), trees, etc. 

NOTE - If you have a die cut machine or plan to purchase one, consider investing in an alphabet die set. I believe classic alphabet die sets and basic shapes nesting dies give you a lot of options and versatility, as opposed to stamp set specific dies.

Look through your specialty papers, and see what you might have! I found nice scraps of foiled papers, lots of metallic, glimmer papers, even some velvet paper, wood grained paper, cork, etc. For these cards I decided to select all things shiny.

CARD BASE & INSIDE PANEL
For each of these cards the base measures 8 1/2” X 4 1/4” scored and folded at 4 1/4”. The inside panels are cut from white cardstock at 4” x 4”.

STACK THE DIE CUTS
* For 4 of the cards dimension was added by cutting out multiples of each letter - 1 of the specialty paper and 3-4 from cardstock. I glued the cardstock die cuts together, then glued the specialty die cut letter on top. The stacked letters were adhered to the card. 

JOY SWIRLS


SUPPLIES I USED
* Card base - green cardstock (Shaded Spruce)
* Inside panel - white cardstock (Basic White)
* Alphabet die cuts - foil paper (Real Red) and red cardstock (Cherry Cobbler) - stack the die cuts of each letter
* Stamp set - (any “swirl” stamp will work) I used Stylish Christmas (retired)
* Ink - Versa Mark or other embossing ink; gold embossing powder
* Alphabet dies - mine are just a bit over 2” tall (Large Alphabet Dies)
* Gems - Red - 5
* Liquid adhesive

SHAKER JOY


SUPPLIES I USED
* Card base - white (Basic White - thick)
* Gold foil cardstock- 4 1/4” x 2 3/4” for focal panel
* Green foil cardstock (Granny Apple Green) for letters
* Green cardstock (Granny Apple Green) for letters
* Window sheet (acetate) - small piece to trace outside of the letter “O” and cut out two
* Sequins - silver and gold
* Liquid adhesive

FOR SHAKER “O” - glue one piece of the window sheet to the back of a cardstock  “O”. Trim any excess window sheet. Next add another two “O” die cuts. Place a few sequins in the center of the “O” then adhere the other piece of window sheet to the back of the die cut stack. Turn the stack over and add the green foil die cut. This creates a micro-mini shaker element for the card.

INLAID JOY


For this card I used a negative die cut, and used die cut letters for an “inlaid” look. The negative die cut serves as a mat layer, and believe it or not it was a scrap. The piece I cut it from was 12” x 5” and I was so happy to use it for this card and another card in this group. I am learning to enjoy using up paper. Once upon a time I felt I had to save it forever or use it sparsely! Why???😁

SUPPLIES I USED
* Card base - white (Basic White -thick)
* Mat layer - Red patterned foiled paper 4” x 4” - die cut the word “JOY” from the paper, keep the center of the “O”, center the dies from left to right and top and bottom. Adhere this piece to the card base
* Cardstock for letters - coral-pink color (Flirty Flamingo). Adhere the die cut letters in play on the card, adhere the center of the “O”.
* Adhesive
* Wink of Stella (clear) -brush on die cut layers.

A-2 SIZED JOY


CARD BASES FOR THESE CARDS - 8 1/2” x 5 1/2” scored and folded at 4 1/4”
INSIDE PANELS - white cardstock (Basic White) cut at 5 1/4” x 4”

TEXTURED JOY


SUPPLIES I USED
* Card base - coral pink color (Flirty Flamingo)
* Red patterned foiled paper - 5 1/4” x 4” - along 4” side score on back side of paper at 1/4”, 1/2”and 3/4”, 2 3/4”, 3”, 3 1/4”, 3 1/2”, and 3 3/4”.
* Mat - Flirty Flamingo cardstock cut at 3 1/2” x 2 1/4”. On the right side of the cardstock, score along 
2 1/4” side at 1/4”. 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”  1 1/4”, 1 1/2”, 1 3/4”, and 2”. (Every 1/4”)
* Letters - cut 1 each from patterned foil paper, cut 3-4 of each letter from Flirty Flamingo cardstock. Stack the letters.
* Center the stacked letters on the mat. Adhere to,panel with dimensionals. Adhere this panel between the two sets of score lines.

NEGATIVE JOY


Black is not a color we usually go to for Christmas cards, but the color can add a very elegant or a bold look to a card. I was not certain how I felt about this card at first. It is growing on me. In -lace of black, navy blue or a deep red or deep green would all look pretty too. The shimmer paper scrap was actually cut with the corners rounded. I am not sure what I had planned to use it for, but I am glad I saved it for this card, and the die cut letters were used for the next card you’ll see.

SUPPLIES I USED
* Card base - black (Basic Black)
* Focal piece - white iridescent shimmer paper 4” x 3” round corners, center “JOY” dies on paper and cut. Save center of “O” for card. Use die cut letters for another card
* Stamp Set - (Joy to the World) from Stars Are Shining 9retired
* Ink - Versa Mark or other embossing ink and white embossing powder
* Place the JOY panel on the card base to gauge where to emboss the sentiment. Emboss the sentiment, then adhere the panel. Remember to add the center to the “O”.

SHIMMER JOY


SUPPLIES I USED
* Card base - royal blue (Starry Night)
* Saved die cut letters from card above plus 4 of each cut from white cardstock for stacking
* Embossing Folder - Snowflake Sky
*Iridescent snowflake embellishments -11
* Adhesive
NOTE - Emboss the card front by placing the card front in the embossing folder right to the scored center fold and emboss.


JOYFUL SCRAP CARDS


Today’s cards are simple, but festive. The shine and glimmer give them a celebratory feel! It is hard to believe all this JOY came from scraps! I truly believe as card makers we need to put our supplies to use - including our scraps! No more collecting, it’s time for creating! So, look through your stashes, and be amazed at JOY you might find!

Thank you so much for checking in today. Until next time . . .
Stamp Happy!

Kim

I list supplies and resources for reference only.

Supplies for today’s cards are from Stampin’ Up!®️
* Cardstock colors are current with the exception of Starry Sky
* Specialty Papers - Gold Foil is still available as is silver. Various colors of shimmer paper are available, including red, several shades of green, and white.
* Large Alphabet Dies - retired
* Stamp sets - Stylish Christmas and Stars Are Shining - retired. ©️1990-2024 Stampin’ Up! ®️

Where to find 2” Alphabet Dies
Sizzix - Tim Holtz, Alphanumeric - Bulletin

There are several other sources offering 1 1/2” alphabet dies by several different manufacturers.


No comments:

Post a Comment