Tuesday, March 30, 2021

USE EMBOSSING FOLDERS TO CREATE UNIQUE BACKGROUND PANEL FOR YOUR CARDS

 Hi, Stampers!

I love finding new and different ways to use my tools. Today’s technique uses an embossing folder a bit differently than usual. This technique creates a unique looking background with a bit of a distressed look. I am not certain what this technique is called, but I will call it the Embossing Folder Crayon Watercolor Background Technique! That name doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, but it does describe the technique! The background on this card was created using this technique.


To create the background you will need:
* An Embossing Folder - I used the BRICK & MORTAR 3-D (annual catalog).
* A white crayon - I peeled off the paper label; this allowed me to use the side of the crayon as opposed to the tip. It takes less time to cover the paper with the crayon, and covers the paper better.
* A piece of Basic White cardstock. I used a piece cut at 5 1/2” x 4 1/4” then cut it down to the size I wanted for the card.
* Classic Stampin’ Pad (s)
* Acrylic Block 
* Silicone Craft Sheet
* Water Painter (broad brush)
* Stamps  
* Heat Tool

To create the background:
* Open the embossing folder, and place the Basic White cardstock on one side. For this card I used the side with the Stampin’ Up!®️ logo, but I have had similar results using the opposite side as well.
* Rub the crayon over the entire surface of the cardstock. 


* Place the cardstock on the silicone craft sheet.
* Open the ink pad and tap the acrylic block on the surface of the pad. The ink should almost cover the surface of the block.
* Use the Water Painter to add a bit of water to the ink, then pick up some ink and brush it on the paper. Continue until the paper is covered with the ink. As Basic White cardstock is being used instead of watercolor paper, take care to use no more “watercolor” then needed to add color. The wax from the crayon, will help keep the cardstock from pilling. 
* Use a heat tool to dry the paper. Once the paper is dry you can add more color if needed. Then dry the paper once again


Once the paper was dry I used the Stitched Rectangle Dies to cut out a card layer. This helped to flatten the piece as well as give it the nice stitched edging. Next I used images from the ENJOY THE MOMENT stamp set (mini catalog). The images were stamped with Early Espresso ink.


I mounted the focal piece on a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock, and put that on an Early Espresso card base. I added the greeting, and called it good!


Here is another card I made using the same technique. For the background piece I used the ORNATE FLORAL embossing folder (annual catalog), and Bumblebee and Pumpkin Pie inks for water coloring. The focal image is from DAISY LANE, and the greeting is from ORNATE THANKS (both are on the annual catalog).


Here is one more background. For this one I used the SEABED embossing folder (annual catalog *retiring item). I used Seaside Spray to watercolor. The greeting is from HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS (annual catalog) and stamped with Highland Heather ink.


Here is a look at all three cards.


Why not grab an embossing folder and give this technique a try? That is it for today. Until next time...

Stamp Happy!

Kim

All stamps and stamped images ©️1990-2021 Stampin’ Up!®️

No comments:

Post a Comment